Saturday, November 30, 2013

Awesome Ramen at Ikkoryu Fukuoka Ramen

A few weeks back, I was invited to Ikkoryu Fukuoka Ramen to sample their dishes. Ikkoryu, located at the East Wing of Shangri-la Plaza, specializes in Tonkotsu ramen. It is one of the more popular restaurants in the mall - the waiting list gets crazy during peak hours. When I first tried out Ikkoryu with my family, we waited for half an hour for a table.


Chic, modern, and trendy are the words that best describe the restaurant. You will be greeted by striking red chairs and wood panels hand-painted with writings in Japanese. The place is quite compact but it didn't feel cramped.





I was quite late for our dinner that night due to the horrendous EDSA traffic. The CEO of YS Food, Mr. Ogata, as well as the PR director of Ikkoryu, Kenji Komoru joined us that night. My late arrival just got a bit more embarrassing. No worries though, both gentlemen were very accommodating. Mr. Komoru gladly explained the history of Ikkoryu and how they plan to expand in the country.


I was offered some gyoza to begin my meal. An order for a six-piece gyoza costs 150 PhP. I like how they were able to cook it in such a way that the skin was nicely toasted yet the filling was still juicy.


The first ramen I tried from Ikkoryu was their best-selling Ajitama Tonkotsu Ramen (380 PhP). Absolute perfection. It is topped with ajitama (Japanese soft boiled eggs), slices of chashu, bamboo shoots, green onions, and nori. The soup was sinfully rich and every sip (rather, slurp) was amazing.



One item I didn't see in my previous visits was the Yuzu-Tama Tonkotsu Ramen (380 PhP). It is quite similar to the Ajitama Ramen but it's a bit spicy. It is flavored with the Japanese seasoning yuzukosho which is a paste made out of chili peppers, salt, and yuzu peel. Words could not describe how much I loved every drop of this ramen bowl's soup. Being a fan of spicy food, I fell in love with the Yuzu-Tama Tonkotsu Ramen. Again, it was rich and very flavorful.

Will I recommend Ikkoryu Fukuoka Ramen? Definitely. It may seem a bit pricey but you're getting seriously good food. Also, the serving portions in Ikkoryu are very generous. I couldn't wait to dine there again once I return to Manila. :)

--

Ikkoryu Fukuoka Ramen
5F East Wing, Shangri-la Plaza Mall
Mandaluyong City

Facebook Page

Craving for Ikkoryu while in Taguig or Makati? Visit them at their SM Aura and Rockwell Powerplant branches.

Special thanks to Ms. Riza who invited us for dinner and Mich of Dekaphobe who introduced me to her. :)

1 comment:

  1. Ditto!

    The other two Japanese restaurants that serve good authentic ramen that I know are Hokkaido Ramen Santouka (Glorietta Makati) and Wrong Ramen (BGC).
    If you haven't been to Wrong Ramen, I'd say you should. Medyo pricey compared to other ramen houses but I'm sure you'll love it. It's not for someone who's on a very strict diet, though.

    Any ramen restaurants you want to recommend?

    ReplyDelete